Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm Looking Ahead, But Can't See Shit Cap'n

       I've decided to start typing a short story today. I've been toying with the idea for a while, but I feel like I should actually make something of these ideas and put them on paper. Regardless of whether the story is good or not, it just feels horrible to have a potentially interesting idea left to rot in my head, so I have deemed immediate action necessary.

    The story takes place some one hundred to one hundred and fifty years in the future, in a sort of shelled out, empty, dystopian shadow of once prosperous civilization. Yes, I'm afraid this is shaping up to be yet another one of those vaguely-George-Orwellian-decline-of-humanity kind of stories. The concept is that after years of war, insecurity, violence, and destructive industrial ventures, humans as a race have become insanely paranoid of all other life. People grew away from the now twisted, torn world, and gravitated back towards the security of home and hearth, gathering like gnats around the flickering light of their television sets. A hollow, omnicient govornment force sends food through pneumo tubes in people's homes and broadcasts their strange, comforting drivel to the withered remenants of humanity. If that isn't bad enough, people have become paranoid to the extent of rigging their homes with murderous traps and lethal security systems in order to dissuade interlopers. The story follows the actions of a nameless man barricaded within the confines of his house. He has been there for an indeterminate ammount of time, but there is evidence that he has existed alone there for years. Immediately, we can see that being isolated for that extent of time has taxed his sanity and put him a bit off his nut. We follow his routine at home for a while, watching him slowly spiral into madness, until one day, he breaks out of his house in an attempt to find other humans. We don't fully understand his logic, only that seeing another human has now become his driving ambition as he wanders through the desolate streets of a decaying city. I don't want to spoil too much, only that it is extremely difficult to find people who prefer not to be found (especially when they're guarded by crippling traps). I'm still drawing up the story board, but look forward to snippets as I progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment