Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Lonely Ghost

Why will no one stop to tell me
that the moon is beautiful tonight?
Why do I wander
Lonely upon this night?
Why do lanterns
no longer beckon me home?
Oh, where is it I have awoken?
'Tis such a place
to lose a lonesome heart.
Tell me of love letters,
the ones you thought
you would never forget,
The ones you let slip from your fingers
as the rain bled ink from paper
and honesty from ink.
Is there an ear keen enough
to know of
The song that drifts over rooftops?
There is a song I remember well,
It drips from my pen,
     Gives me names
                                                                   Alas,
I can no longer sway
to its sweet melody.
Oh, wretched faith,
'Tis faith
Which starves blind men
and dries up pens.
'Twas faith in a lost thing,
'Twas a heart on a lonely afternoon
'Twas the tired snapping of a string.
My name
Does not matter,
And neither does yours,
For on this lamplit road,
On this bleeding thought night
I found
That it was not everyone else
that vanished with the rain
in a puff of tired thought,
But it was I.
I wandered far from home,
my soul kicking up dust
As my breath remained
but a stone's throw from my body.
It was the deftest thought
Dashed upon the coldest of realizations,
That made me realize
there is not
a single person on
this dust filled world
who would have
stopped to talk to me
as I emptied my heart to the moon.
So I sank to my knees,
And as the cold, ashen earth
rushed upwards to embrace me,
A void opened within,
And a sea of hollow insanity
flooded to fill the gap.
I'm a ghost under a rock,
And I am the only ghost.
What's more,
I am breath without wings,
And I am a lonely ghost.

I'm too cold
to sleep tonight,
And these are the last thoughts
I will ever have of home.

10 comments:

  1. I am a child in every way,
    But for the tortured games I play,
    If roots are sick then branches cannot hope to thrive
    And in this way I cannot hope to die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mais non, parce que je suis le fantome seuls.

    (de detresse se tourne vers le francais dans ma bouche)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You believe that you're the only ghost (thank you Google Translate)? I don't know, to me being a ghost is not being able to reach anyone; as if the mere inches that seperate you from another person may as well be miles. 'Tis a feeling I'm well acquainted with. Mayhaps you need not be the only ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am good at being alone, but loneliness I cannot handle. Even when surrounded by people I feel lost, and yet I cling to their companionship because in some strange way I feel that my constantly lonely state will drive me beyond the usual bounds of insanity (for we are all insane, are we not?) into the realm of the batshit crazy. Which is saying something, because I feel batshit crazy enough talking to a stranger on a blog. I'm not used to it, I suppose. Not used to finding kinship with someone I've never met but still spoken to. And not really used to finding kinship either. It's sort of a rare thing. I have close friends, but they all go to Santa Barbara this year and I'm still at my little hermit school. The funniest thing is how much I despise self-pity, and how much I despise myself for spewing out all of this self-pity to a stranger. I also despise myself for being slightly in love with the idea of you, even though I am intuitive enough to guess that you have a significant other already (I am right, am I not?). But seriously, photographs of strangers in coffee shops? It's like some awful but oh-so compelling indie romance movie. I just need to shake myself out of this weird lost state and find that other ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there is indeed a significant other. Regardless however, you are a kindred spirit after my own heart, and I like a lot of the things you have to say. I look forward to meeting you Lulu, and will continue photographing random strangers. Haha, oh God, it does sound like an indie romance movie. If a movie like this already exists, then I will probably watch it and get choked up; if not, we should write the script for it and make gazillions of dollars (or we could just get bored halfway through and just return to our aimless wanderings).

    ps- I haven't been able to find any Lulu suspects thus far at my coffee shop stakeouts. I have seen nothing of a medium height curly/frizzy/wavy haired girl with a sketchbook bearing a "Sex Wax" insignia. Maybe I should just jump straight to the random interrogations no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps. I was there on Wednesday, and may well be there today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, though the situation proved to be a bit awkward, and though I wasn't particularly tactful or graceful, 'twas nice meeting you. Mayhaps we'll run into eachother another time under better circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alas! The contents of your sketchbook remain a mystery. Perhaps another time, as you said.

    (And the better circumstances will hopefully disguise how socially inept I am. You, in contrast, seemed both tactful AND graceful.)

    ReplyDelete